Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for August 29th, 2007

Here’s my list of action items:

  1. Add some more details to the new railing
  2. Make the left hand wall look a bit more interesting while we’re at it
  3. The lower left hand corner is now a bit boring. Think about that one
  4. Clear up the mid field between the foreground plant and the right hand one by the door
  5. Does the inside of the doorway need some detail?
  6. Figure out what the size of the large pot by the door ought to be and scale it down.
  7. Work out which direction the sun is coming from and ensure that the highlights and shades are consistent throughout.
  8. Decide what to do with the lamp over the doorway.

I think that’s about it for now.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Final changes for the day. Hard to miss the change here.

The low wall on the left hand side was bothering me. I wanted to see what would happen if I put a metal railing round the area of the balcony in front of the door. I sketched in a railing in charcoal and it seemed to make sense.

OK, so lets take the plunge. In software development this is the time that you check in your work to the source control and then start working. You can always roll back. No rollbacks in painting :-(. Maximum you can do is try to redo what used to be there.

Anyway, in the origianal there is that little wiggle in the line of the wall. In order to put a railing on the top of the wall, I was going to need to widen the top surface of the coping on the wall and then plant the railing in the external edge. This would also mean removing the wiggle and just carrying the line of the coping along in a straight line the whole way.

First I painted in the railing in white over the charcoal and then added a little sap green for flavor. Next I went down to the stonework and added in the straight lines for the new edges of the coping and the  wall itself. Several layers and you would never know it was ever any different.

Read Full Post »

In order to make the foreground plant stand out a bit I outlined in white. There is still a bit of a mess in the middle between that plant and the right hand one by the door. That is going to need some more attention. I also noticed that the pot on the left hand one is a bit too big and is taking over too much of the balcony there.

 I then extended the left hand door a bit out past the end of the wall. Layered shapes shopuld never end on the same line but always overlap partly and protrude. It make for more interesting composition. I then tone down the sky a bit so that you can see the door better.

I was still not happy with the low walls. The near one needed a bit of straightening, which I did (if you can notice it). The far wall got slightly more radical treatment which you will see in my next post.

Read Full Post »

There will be several posts today as I got some more painting done last night.

 In my last post I complained that the tree by the door looked a bit transparent, so first thing I did was to add some shade between the branches so that there is no longer a sharp division at the edge of the door, and added some white highlights to the upper branches.

I also added some white lining  to the coping work around the doorway to make it stand out a bit from the wall and the the lamp hanging over the doorway. I’m still not too sure about that lamp. We’ll have to see how it does.

Then I added flowers to the near plant. The flowers are in quinacrodone red with a healthy amount of white to tone them down. I mixed some of the sap green into the mixture and added flowers  and shades into the plant deep between the foliage in order to get some depth and a bit of raw umber evn at the base.

Read Full Post »